As I look back and reflect on this past year, it would be safe to say that 2018 was the best year of my life so far. So as the year ends, I thought I could make a list of the things for which I am grateful.
1. I am thankful for my husband. Still sounds a little funny to call him my ‘husband’ now, since we only got married a little over 2 months ago. He left his hometown in Germany and moved to Turkey to do life here with me two years ago, for which I am eternally grateful. And after almost 3 years of dating we tied the knot. We had a simple but pretty wedding, just like we wanted. We got to celebrate our special day with our loved ones. I don’t think there can be a greater ‘highlight of the year’ and a better reason to be thankful than that.
2. I am thankful for our cutest littlest apartment. We haven’t really decided on how long we would stay in Turkey, that’s why we thought a one bedroom apartment would be enough for us. Those apartments are in fact hard to find, a decent one at least. But oh my God, we found the perfect apartment, which is close to both our workplaces and my parents. It is a simple and modern flat, just like I imagined. I am not the kind of girl who needs mansions to be happy. A cute little apartment to share with my husband is enough to make me happy.
3. I am thankful for my parents and my in-laws. They gave us the wedding that we wanted and all the other festivities. They made moving out and settling in a new apartment so much easier for us, and supported us every step of the way.
4. I am thankful for my friends. I felt their support during all my super stressful wedding preparations. They were there for me when I was freaking out and they celebrated our love with us.
5. I am thankful for the grown-up life, as much as it is hard. I was living with my parents before I got married and moved out, so I didn’t have to deal with the rent or the bills – or even cooking. But the moment I moved out, reality slapped me in the face. My mom was no longer going to take care of the household, or my dad wasn’t going to pay the bills. As much as my husband has been living alone for ages, it was new for me. BUT I am used to it now, and I’m grateful for the progress I have made and seeing different sides of myself. It does teach you a lot about yourself. I mean, who knew I could actually cook?!
6. I am thankful for having the energy to take on more projects both at work and in my personal life- like this blog. I am a full time translator and I work a lot- I don’t want this to sound bad, I love my job. And this year I had the energy to take on more projects at work. And somehow I also had the energy and the courage to start this blog. So yay!
7. I am thankful for being able to improve my German (go to 10 Fun Facts about Me-Fact 1 to read about my struggle with German). I avoided doing anything German or Germany related for years, except for studying at a minimum level for my exams. However, now that I am married to a German man, I actually get to practice with him and his family and actually like it again! Who knows, maybe I’ll even get the Artikels right one day! *wishful thinking*
8. I am thankful for finally growing some balls to start going to the gym again. I was feeling unhealthy somehow- I have a sedentary job and I felt like it was time to start getting some workout in again. We will see how long I’ll be able to keep that up.
9. I am thankful for my husband’s growing interest in photography. Since he started taking my photos for Instagram and the blog, he realized he actually enjoys it and decided to learn more about photography. Now we get to share our ideas about all that and work together.
10. I am thankful for being able to visit our family in Hamburg, Germany for Christmas. We are going to be in Germany for Christmas, which is the most wonderful time of the year if you ask me (or Andy Williams). I am super excited about spending more time with them and celebrating Christmas. Afterwards, we will be back in Izmir to celebrate the New Year’s Eve with my parents. And for me, that’s a great way to end the year.
P.S.: It is nice to make a list of all the things we are grateful for (though the list can go on forever), but to be honest, as somebody once said, “at the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing is reason enough to celebrate”.*
*That somebody is Meredith Grey from Grey’s Anatomy.
Feel free to ask your questions or share your comments!